Sunday, June 9, 2013

Just From Wednesday

Thursday morning Tom and I attended the funeral of Estle Dawson.  We had either visit taught her or home taught her since she moved to Mountain Home about 12 years ago.  Others took over when we went on missions, but we always seemed to be assigned back again.

We were the first LDS people she met when she moved into town.  We met at the LDS fair booth that summer.  As she got a little more senile... we'd get reminded of that every visit.  And Tom was the only one who seemed to be able to wind her once-a-month clock.   So if we were late home teaching, her clock would be wound down.  She went into a nursing home about 6 months ago, celebrated her 90th birthday on May 11 and passed away June 3rd.

She'd been going to East-side Baptist church for years, but still wanted us to come and visit.  The funeral was held there.

Friday we had a pot-luck dinner at church. Tom made a chocolate-cherry cake and I frosted it. I made a baked spaghetti casserole for Rebecca's share of the pot luck. It was fun to visit.  Rebecca arrived while there was still food-- so that was good.

Saturday Tom got up early and went with Callie to pick strawberries.  I used some to make Rebecca's fruit pizza pie and sliced the rest.  Little did I know that Rebecca wanted strawberries and waffles for her birthday breakfast... but there they were, nice and sliced for Sunday morning.

Saturday I went over with Tom and spent a couple of hours painting trim at Adam's house.  It's amazing how much better it looks with all the roach poop gone, and a new coat of paint. The good news is that the past tenant stayed for about 3 years.  The bad news is that at one point he had a HORRID roach problem!  There were littered piles of bugs everywhere.  Our poor cleaning lady, Renee, HATES roaches.  So while we were painting, we were treated to a constant stream of "OH!  This is so gross!"  "Oh look!  They're in all of the refrigerator! How disgusting!  How could someone live like this?"  "I'm afraid to move the frig.  What if some are still alive?" "Oh!  This is so awful, I think I'm going to be sick."

Finally I promised her Tom would vacuum out the cupboards before she had to clean them.  When she got to the stove, and the roach carcasses were heaped behind the glass in the clock display area, even Tom agreed, working stove or not, it had to go.  There was no way to clean that out and if they were there... where else in the stove would they be?

Saturday night we celebrated Callie's birthday.  Rebecca made carbinara and it was well received as was the lemon cake.  Really? Lemon cake? How did these non-chocolate taste buds get into a Fox relative?

We worked all these Saturday events around a friend's baptism, too.

Sunday went well. George Dyer, a Branson entertainer is also a high councilman who was assigned to speak.  Tom had asked him if he'd sing as well.  What was nice was that singing was his favorite way to communicate spiritual things.  It was easier for him to sing than to speak.  But he did a wonderful job with both.

We sandwiched Rebecca's birthday celebration in between home and visiting teaching and Tom's bishopric duties.  I made fajitas and we had the fruit pizza pie.  A good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment