Sunday, January 27, 2013

Forty Pounds of Chicken


This week my new computer and I are trying to get along.  I downloaded drop box and security programs. Word and I are having words.  It doesn’t like my old program so I have Word “lite” with ads and it doesn’t give me a word count without begging for it.  But I love the large screen and the ability to have two documents open side-by-side.

It was fun to be busy with lots of projects.  I got them all done and a few more assigned articles.  Now it’s: Hello!  What’s down the pipeline?  Time to be marketing again.

I have been assigned publicity for the three stake Especially for Seminary that will be held August 10th.  I was called as Teacher Development teacher for our ward.  But there is really no course to teach from.  I need to take parts of the new teaching curriculum for youth and adapt that.  Suggestions anyone?  The Stake Relief Society is creating a cookbook for their stake RS meeting and I think I will be on that committee as well.  One of our ward members has a machine to punch the holes and insert the comb bindings.  So if we decide to do a family cookbook.  He is happy to help with that, too.

Wednesday afternoon I drove to Springfield with the Stake Relief Society President.  We had fun chatting up and back. It was Stake Council meeting that night.  It started at 7:30 and we got out just a little before 11pm.  I was glad I only had to drive 2 hours by myself.  I’d connected with the RS president in Ava—about an hour from home.  It’s a great meeting, though.  You feel like you know the mind of the stake president and you hear all the things the stake is doing. I go in my capacity as Stake Seminary and Institute Supervisor.

Thursday we had the missionaries over and a mom and her two children.  The daughter, a 12 year old, was scheduled for a Saturday baptism.  We had a good dinner and a nice conversation. I love the Mom.  She’s doing a great job. I hope she will be baptized soon and the son.  I tries a new recipe—Classic Chicken Tetrazinni.  It’s not lo-cal, but it was mighty tasty!

Tom has been working on cleaning up the downfall in the north pasture.  He’s been burning piles and piles of wood. He’s so excited.  He’s about done out there.  He does have job security.  The pond pasture has much work to be done.  Also, we need to clear the fence line a bit.  We want to replace the old broken down fencing along that north boundary.  Then we can think about getting cows or goats or something to munch the grass down. The problem seems to be getting fencing that is good for both goats and cows and doesn’t bankrupt the piggybank.

Friday when I went shopping a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters was on sale for $6.59.  I was so excited, I bought a bag and came home and cooked it for meals that called for cooked chicken.  I wanted to buy more, but didn’t want to cook it then.

Saturday we went to K.’s baptism.  Tom baptized her. I had been asked to give a talk and spent time preparing a talk on baptism.  We get to church and I read the program. I’m giving a talk on the Holy Ghost!  Dang.  I do need to listen better.  Good thing we got there a few minutes early and I had some notes on the Holy Ghost written in the back of my Bible.  I think it went okay. 

After the baptism we stopped and bought three more bags of chicken leg quarters.  I think two would have been sufficient. After deboning 30 pounds of chicken in 24 hours, I was done.  So there’s a bag in the frig for Monday.  Maybe we’ll just have A LOT of fried chicken!

Today was Ward Conference.  We had the stake president here and other stake leaders.  Our theme for this year is becoming truly converted.  It builds on Elder Bednar’s talk about the difference between having a testimony (knowing) and being converted (doing).  Brother and Sister Darracq received their mission call to the Birmingham, England mission and leave in April.  We are so excited for them!

1 comment:

  1. Darracqs are going on a mission?!! How exciting! I'm so glad for them.

    ReplyDelete