I must be a guy; I overlook some of the grandchildren birthdays,but I certainly remember the day I bought my first car! Yes, today is the 44th anniversary of the day I bought the Model A. This is the car that transported me between LA and San Jose for three years of college; that got me to work in LA (50 miles round trip) for three summers; that your mother and I honeymooned with in 1970 because we didn't have any other car for another 6 months; that drove us to Sacramento as newlyweds and got Sandy to UCD and me to work for several months. Then in March 1972 Mom and I (along withShadrack our dalmatian) drove it from LA to Pensacola to flight school; where I drove it to work at various bases for a year (it got towed back to CA in 1973). Over the next several years I drove it to work at MCAS Tustin, to attend Safety school in Monterrey CA, to attend WTI training in Yuma, and places I have long since forgotten.
For several years it sat on blocks in the garage on our Grass Valley property, until 1994 when it saw the light of day again, and I drove it to LA and then to Mountain Home, AR. Today, it gets occasional use in the local area. It doesn't get the use it once did; early in our life together, I drove it 16,000 miles in one year; now it only sees a couple hundred miles a year. But the memories are not dimmed by time or by lack of driving it (and there are a lot of fond memories that just seeing this car remind me of).
Life is a lot similar to my relationship with this car; these experiences and memories shape us into who we are. However we can't hang onto, or live in the past; we need to move forward, retaining those experiences that made us who we are today and using them for good.
I plan to continue driving this car for a long time, continuing the memories. Hope some of you will join me on the journey!
Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment