Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Time to be Thankful

November is a delightful month.  It it a time to see the changes around us and reflect on the blessings we have.  It began with fall colors.  Then the wind blustered through and most branches are bare.  We get to see the bones of the trees-- the strength that supports the fritter of leaves.  As we give thanks to God for all of the many blessing we have-- we remember our support as well.

This seemed to be the week for the internet webinars.  I've been working on my copywriting skills and wanting to build a website to promote myself, and also some blogs to build into a revenue stream.  While on the internet, I've come across a lot of people who say they can help me make big bucks fast, and then have lots of time for fun.  Sounds a lot like a free lunch. Still, as I've listened to their free stuff, I've learned a some useful things. One thing they said was when you're beginning copywriting, you want to be the one-eyed man among the blind.  Choose the markets that are in such need of your help you're confident you can do great things for them.  I've found some sites where I think, "This is a terrible site.  I can do better than this."  That's the place to start.  Not competing with the glitz of the high-priced companies.  I think it would be fun to write for Rich Dad sometime.

It's been fun to watch our house on Main Street take shape.  The trash is out.  The contractor has roughed in the  bathrooms, closets, took down a wall, roughed in a wall.  The electrical has been traced, and the heat and AC is in the process of being installed.  We learned most of the windows have pulleys attached and the kitchen floor and walls have the cabinet positions outlined.  We went looking for tub and surround, vanities, medicine cabinets, kitchen cabinets, and light fixtures.  The contractor will then follow later to purchase and install.  It is exciting to see things move ahead.

On the Church St house, Tom mentioned that there were not master breakers in the electric box, so we could not inspect the electrical.  The selling agent verified... hmm.. they were there... what happened to them?  So it looks like they will have to replace the entire electrical box, as that one was outdated.  So our inspection will be delayed, but I think we're getting a new electric box.  The final contract was signed by Fannie Mae.  Interesting.  We could not initial a simple $500 change to the price-- it had to be an entire NEW contract.  But after WE signed and initialed everything and sent it to them, they made a pen change. And it's totally okay that they changed the contract after we'd signed it.  Our government at work.

Tomatoes survived freezing nights and it should be warm for the next 10 days.  This is the last time I'll cover the beans or tomatoes.  We've moved the chickens into the garden, but fenced off the part that still has things growing that we care about.  They seem happy there, scratching and pecking.  I like my little hens.  Two keep laying eggs.  The silly Americana has quit for the winter, I think.   The Red Rocks may not be as pretty, but they are good producers-- probably a lesson here, too.

This afternoon Tom has Bishops Youth Discussion at our house.  Saturday we had the stake dance at our ward.  Everyone was pleased that many of the youth from Springfield made the drive down here.  I guess we aren't leading that exciting a life... but it seems pretty interesting day by day.


No comments:

Post a Comment