Hard to believe we are already into September! That’s close to fall…. And that’s close to
the end of the year.
This week I felt like I settled in. I think it’s because I have purpose and a
plan. I signed up to take the AWAI’s
copy writing course. I’d been given the
manual for the class as I was leaving our last mission. I actually read part of it and started
working on it. And as I was cleaning off
our old computer I came across something I’d written as an exercise for the
course and it was pretty good writing!
So when I came across a good deal for the course online, I took the
bait. Along with the bait came daily
emails about how I could buy better and different and more specific programs so
I could make a lot more money. They are
interesting. They give you insight on
why and how people who take the basic program are not successful. But I’m going to do the first program before
I decide if I need more. It’s been a
good learning experience so far. Words are
subtle little devils. As you read and dissect
other direct mail, you see the obscure motivations they contain to make the
plunge and buy.
Speaking of buying….
I was talking to our realtor and she suggested a house she thought we
might be interested in. The plusses are
its location, acreage, and zoning for light commercial. However it’s an old house and was someone’s
project. I think they got part way into
it and then moved to New Jersey. It’s a
MESS! No bath, no kitchen, needs
flooring, electrical, plumbing, heat and A/C.
Ah, but it has the potential for a lovely pine floor and gracious trim work.
So we’ve had the heat and A/C guy and the foam insulation guy out to give us
estimates. They were within possibility,
so now we need to get estimates for electrical and plumbing. Then last night I was looking at Truila.com
and came across one of the typical 2bdrm 1 bath homes that we’ve bought in the
past for about $20,000 less than we paid for our last one. And it looked like a lot less work! So. Do
we want to have the joy of fixing up….Or the joy of rental income? Tom is so good to let me run with an idea
until either it turns out to be unfeasible, or it turns out to have some merit. We’ll see how this wild hare ends up. But Tom’s opinion is let someone else tackle
the ‘project’ house!
I don’t know if I mentioned that I got new glasses. (At the
price of a small computer! GAAK) I
decided to try the no-line glasses that gradually change from distance, to
mid-range, to reading. They are also
rimless. They look good, and I think I’m getting accustomed to them, although I
feel like I’m reading small print out of the very, very bottom edge of the
glasses.
I am so delighted! My
little garden is growing! I have beans
and peas. I have lettuce and
broccoli. I think I even have
beets. I forgot to plant spinach, so it’s
a little delayed. And my sugar-snap peas
were old seed and have yet to make an appearance.
We got an invitation to go to a time share homeowners update
complete with gift card, free nights, coupon book and such. Yes, it’s three hours of hard-sell, but I,
being a greedy sucker, might have bit.
But Tom said, “Why would I want to flagellate myself?” So I explained that for the sake of my
marriage, I had to decline.
Thursday evening Elroy Chinn died. He was 92 and the only black man in our congregation. He was probably the best dressed man in the
ward and he was so humble. He learned to
read when he was 84 at the Literacy Center where Tom worked with adult education. He became the Arkansas Literacy Council
Student of the year in 2005 and gained national recognition with a ProLiteracy
award in 2006. You can see an article on
him at www.baxterbulletin.com for
Saturday-Sunday Sept 3-4, 2011. If you
look under news, you’ll also see an article about Tom and I coming back from
our mission.
We have had hot, dry weather here. It’s cooling, but no rain. The poor lawn crackles under my feet and
even though we water…well water occasionally… the flowers in front, they look mighty
dried and weary. We pray for rain. I expect Rebecca would be glad to share some
that’s come to Belle Chasse.
I'm sure there's more that's happened. But that's all I remembered.
No comments:
Post a Comment